Scientists have now recognised the pomegranate as a valuable fruit with numerous beneficial properties. It is one of the few fruits whose properties are unaltered when it is juiced and, in this form, it is more quickly digestible by the human body.
ADVANTAGES AND BENEFITS
- It has a higher concentration of antioxidants than any other fruit (3 times more than green tea and oranges).
- When freshly squeezed, it contains a very high vitamin A, C and E content, and minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, folic acid, niacin, thiamin, folate and riboflavin.
- Pomegranate is an important source of ellagic acid (an antioxidant), and punicic acid, an omega-5 polyunsaturated fatty acid which has an inhibiting effect on the proliferation of breast cancer.
- Pomegranate juice contains antioxidants such as anthocyanin and ellagic acid, and compounds such as gallic acids, flavonoids and quercetin, which protect against diabetes, heart disease, osteoarthritis and various types of cancers.
- Pomegranate juice can have a significant impact on cardiac health, keeping the arteries flexible and reducing lesions and inflammations of blood vessels in patients with cardiac conditions.
- Pomegranate juice inhibits the enzymes responsible for the deterioration of cartilage. As a result, it is strongly recommended for patients suffering from osteoarthritis.
- Pomegranate juice reduces the risk of arterial obstruction and the subsequently decreased flow of blood to the heart and brain. It reduces the amount of LDL (or bad) cholesterol and increases the amount of HDL (or good) cholesterol.
- Pomegranate juice contains fructose, but does not increase blood sugar levels as other fruit juices do.
- Pomegranate juice reduces blood pressure when it is too high.
- Pomegranate juice eliminates free radicals from the body, and inhibits the growth and development of cancer and other diseases.
- Its high antioxidant content stimulates the white blood cells to neutralise toxins in the body, thus encouraging a strong and healthy immune system.
- Pomegranate juice contains a large amount of iron and helps to overcome a deficiency of red blood cells in the body.
- Drinking a glass of pomegranate juice every day can slow the rate at which prostate cancer cells grow.
- Pomegranate juice offers relief from urinary tract infections and facilitates the flow of urine.
- Pomegranate juice has strong antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which help to fight viruses and bacteria and boost the immune system. It significantly reduces the microbes found in the mouth, which are a common cause of infections.
- Its antimicrobial properties also make it an effective inhibitor of HIV transmission.
- Pomegranate juice is a natural aspirin.
- Pomegranate juice encourages the regular functioning of the stomach, heart and liver.
- Pomegranate juice’s high level of dietary fibre, both soluble and insoluble, helps to improve digestion. Thanks to its lack of saturated fat or cholesterol, it is strongly recommended for those trying to lose weight.
- It is known to reduce atherosclerosis, a major cause of heart disease.
- Regular intake of pomegranate juice can reduce the onset of neurological problems, such as Alzheimer's disease.
- Pomegranate juice is also known to dissolve kidney stones and treat erectile dysfunction in men.
- Pomegranate juice is strongly recommended for pregnant women. It is a great source of a range of vitamins and minerals, including folic acid, an essential part of any pre-natal diet. The anti-inflammatory properties of pomegranate juice ensure healthy blood flow, which is essential for the overall development of the foetus.
- Pomegranate juice’s potassium content helps to prevent leg cramping, which commonly affects pregnant women.
- When consumed regularly by expectant mothers, pomegranate juice reduces the risk of premature birth and low birth weight.
- Significant consumption of pomegranate juice helps to slow down the skin’s aging process, reducing the appearance of wrinkles caused by regular sun exposure. It also helps to support the regeneration of skin cells and prevents hyperpigmentation and the appearance of dark spots.
- Pomegranate juice extends the life of the fibroblasts responsible for the production of collagen and elastin, which bind the skin and prevent the formation of wrinkles.